SDS Platform/Tank Plastics/Repair
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an option for putting the tank plastics back together, given that they were separated for say painting or other process.
- towel/soft working surface
- tape measure
- screwdriver/awl/something to poke 1/4" holes
- cutting blade
- double-sided tape (recommend Scotch Outdoor Mounting Tape, 1" wide)
- Clean up the plastic rivet heads so they'll smoothly interface with the plastic clamshells again.
- Do a dry fit-check before proceeding.
- Clean the plastics thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol or soap/water.
- Place the tape along the ridge on the plastic.
- Cut approximately 1/2" x 24" of the double sided tape.
- The Scotch stuff referenced is 1" wide; further cut the strip lengthwise to get two 1/2" strips.
- Trim near the left-most lip so it follows the ridge and make a relief cut near the right-hand-side so it'll make the sharp turn.
- Poke or cut holes where the rivet heads used to go.
- Remove the tape liner, and firmly press the plastic and center section together for about 30 seconds each side.
- Due to the thickness of the Scotch tape there is a ~1/8" gap between the plastic and center section, but it's very consistent and rigid.
- Repair Guide: Tank Plastic Clamshell Repair on EMF.