SDS Platform/Install Tank Lock As Tail Helmet Lock
This relocates the stock tank lock onto the tail as a helmet lock.
- Most motorcycle locks place a helmet on the side of the tail section.
- Zero has a stock lock on the frame behind the front forks, for locking in the tank bag but is also somewhat usable for helmets.
When replacing the tank bag with a Power Tank, Charge Tank, or other tank replacement, the lock can be repositioned as it is no longer as accessible or uniquely suited for that position.
- Pick a spot on the (left side of the) frame where there are no wires.
- NOTE: Figure out more specific ways or places to do this.
Warning Warning: Be very careful when drilling holes in the tail; the Sevcon motor controller and cabling are inside and should not be compromised for any reason!
- Tape the frame for drilling.
- Use the lock to mark the hole positions on the tape.
- Keep drill speed down a bit so the screw head will go in.
- Drill 2 small pilot holes then enlarge (up to 3/16 or 3mm; need to get more specific here).
- Position the lock in a hook-down orientation over the holes.
- Insert the same screws and tighten.
The existing holes in the frame might be worth re-using or filling in.